Iran threatens wider retaliation as Trump weighs new strikes

May 20, 2026

(Bloomberg) — Iran warned it could retaliate beyond the Middle East if the U.S. or Israel launches new attacks, escalating tensions as President Donald Trump signaled he may order additional strikes within days amid continued deadlock over Iran’s nuclear program and the Strait of Hormuz.

“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the regional war that had been promised will this time extend beyond the region,” the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said Wednesday, according to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency. The IRGC warned of “crushing blows in places you do not expect.”

The comments came after Trump said he could authorize another round of strikes if negotiations fail to produce concessions from Tehran on uranium enrichment and maritime access through Hormuz.

“I hope we don’t have to do the war, but we may have to give them another big hit,” Trump told reporters, adding that action could come “Friday, Saturday, Sunday — maybe early next week.”

Oil prices fell Wednesday despite the renewed threats, with Brent crude trading near $107/bbl after dropping 3.5%. Prices, however, remain sharply higher for the year as the ongoing conflict and shipping disruptions continue pressuring global energy markets.

Iran and the U.S. remain divided over terms for a broader agreement. Tehran has refused U.S. demands to surrender its highly enriched uranium stockpile or permanently halt uranium enrichment activities, while Washington continues pressing Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz to commercial shipping.

The strait, which handles roughly one-fifth of global oil and LNG trade, has remained heavily restricted since fighting intensified earlier this year. Iran has demanded that Washington lift its naval blockade of Iranian ports before allowing broader commercial traffic to resume.

Iranian officials said 26 vessels transited Hormuz in the past day under coordination from the IRGC Navy, though traffic levels remain well below normal prewar volumes.

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said Tehran has used the ceasefire period to rebuild military readiness and strengthen economic resilience in anticipation of possible renewed conflict.

The White House has continued pursuing negotiations through intermediaries, primarily Pakistan, though officials on both sides acknowledged talks remain stalled.

Vice President JD Vance said the administration still believes Iran wants to reach a deal, describing renewed military action as “option B.”

“We think that we’ve made a lot of progress,” Vance said Tuesday. “But that’s not what the president wants. And I don’t think it’s what the Iranians want either.”

Trump earlier said Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates urged him to delay additional military action to allow more time for diplomacy.

Analysts say the risk of further escalation remains elevated as both sides continue hardening positions while energy markets remain highly sensitive to any disruption involving Hormuz transit or regional oil exports.

Connect with World Oil
Connect with World Oil, the upstream industry's most trusted source of forecast data, industry trends, and insights into operational and technological advances.