Shell begins production from subsea tie-back in U.S. Gulf of Mexico

February 22, 2024

(WO) Shell Offshore Inc., a subsidiary of Shell plc, announced the start of production at Rydberg, a subsea tie-back to the Shell-operated Appomattox production hub in the Gulf of Mexico with an estimated peak production of 16,000 boed.

Shell Appomattox

"Rydberg will further boost production in the Norphlet Corridor at Appomattox, which is consistently one of our highest producing assets," said Rich Howe, Shell Deep Water Executive Vice President. "As we meet the energy demands of today and the future, we will continue to mature the best opportunities for growth in the Gulf of Mexico."

Rydberg is located within Mississippi Canyon in the Norphlet Corridor of the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, approximately 75 miles off the coast of Louisiana in about 7,450 feet of water.

Shell was the first operator to bring an asset online in the Norphlet Corridor with Appomattox, in 2019.

The leases in which Rydberg is located are operated by Shell. Shell has a working interest of 80% in the leases while CNOOC has a working interest of 20%.

The development concept for Rydberg is as a subsea tieback to the Shell operated Appomattox asset, with two production wells produced through a single insulated 12-mile flowline with a dynamic umbilical.

Shell operates Appomattox with a 79% working interest, with CNOOC holding the remaining 21%.

Current estimated recoverable resource volumes of Rydberg are currently estimated to be 38 MMboe. The estimate of resource volumes is currently classified as 2P under the Society of Petroleum Engineers' Resource Classification System.

The estimated peak production and current estimated recoverable resources presented above are 100% total gross figures.

Lead image source: Shell

Connect with World Oil
Connect with World Oil, the upstream industry's most trusted source of forecast data, industry trends, and insights into operational and technological advances.