Shell sells stake in two Malaysian offshore interests to focus upstream portfolio
(WO) – Sarawak Shell Berhad (SSB), a subsidiary of Shell plc, has completed the sale of its stake in two offshore production sharing contracts (PSC) in the Baram Delta to Petroleum Sarawak Exploration & Production Sdn. Bhd. (PSEP).
The sale concerns non-operated interests of 40% in the Amended 2011 Baram Delta EOR Production Sharing Contract (BDO PSC) and 50% in the SK 307 Production Sharing Contract (SK307 PSC). The remaining interests in both PSCs are held by the operator, PETRONAS Carigali Sdn. Bhd. (PCSB).
This divestment is in line with Shell’s work to focus its upstream portfolio. Shell retains a strong presence in Malaysia’s upstream, gas-to-liquids, downstream and business services sectors.
PCSB (Operator) holds a 60% equity interest in the BDO PSC, with SSB having held the remaining 40% equity interest prior to divestment. The BDO PSC was signed in 2012 and amended in 2016 and 2019, to extend the life and increase the recovery of the Baram Delta.
PCSB (Operator) holds a 50% equity interest in the SK307 PSC, with SSB having held the remaining 50% equity interest prior to divestment. The SK307 PSC was signed in 1997.
Following completion of this divestment, Shell holds 19 Production Sharing Contracts (PSCs) in Malaysia. On September 5, 2022, Shell announced investment in Rosmari-Marjoram in Sarawak, Malaysia. Rosmari-Marjoram is a natural gas project which will be developed with SSB (Operator, 80%) and PCSB (20%).