Carolina Long Bay shows growing demand for offshore wind
National Ocean Industries Association President Erik Milito issued the following statement after the conclusion of the wind energy auction for two lease areas in the Carolina Long Bay. The lease sale drew competitive winning bids from two companies - TotalEnergies Renewables USA and Duke Energy Renewables Wind - totaling approximately $315 million.
"With three separate wind projects now in the area, and potentially more on the way, the Carolinas are positioned to be the next American offshore wind hub. Today's winning bids were each more than seventeen times larger than the winning bid from the Kitty Hawk offshore wind lease sale just five years ago. We're seeing the maturation of the market and an optimistic outlook for offshore wind in areas beyond our Northeastern states. A stronger supply chain, with new jobs and investments, will stretch through the Carolinas and communities throughout our nation.
“The high-level of interest in the lease areas underscores demand for additional future wind lease opportunities. However, a 10-year moratorium on new offshore wind leasing in the region, scheduled to take effect on July 1st, would undercut substantial offshore wind momentum. This morning, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Congresswoman Deborah Ross (D-NC) released a bicameral letter calling for language repealing the moratorium to be included in the final text of bipartisan innovation legislation. Congress should pass this bipartisan measure, which is currently included in the America COMPETES Act, and help ensure the door remains open for offshore wind."
Related News ///
FROM THE ARCHIVE ///
Connect with World Oil
Join Our Newsletter ///
Sign-up for World Oil Daily News
Latest News ///More
- Supreme Court restricts EPA’s authority to shift away from fossil fuels (6/30)
- Biden to ask Persian Gulf producers to boost oil output during Middle East trip (6/30)
- Environmental groups sue to block Biden admin’s oil drilling lease plan (6/29)
- Texas Railroad Commission proposes rules to ensure natural gas supply in weather emergencies (6/29)
- DNV report: Hydrogen at risk of being the great missed opportunity of the energy transition (6/29)