First phase of BP’s massive gas project in Oman nears completion


MUSCAT, Oman -- The first phase of BP Oman’s Khazzan natural gas project is 80% complete and on track to deliver first gas near the end of 2017, the company said in a statement.

Situated on a previously undeveloped desert site 350 km south of Muscat, work on the Khazzan tight gas project began in 2014, and the completed development will eventually contribute roughly a third of Oman’s natural gas supply.

The vast majority of the infrastructure is already in place, including 56 km of roads, several thousand meters of power lines (including broadband networks) and a 60-km water pipeline from Hanya. Foundations and structures have also been put in place, and equipment installation is in progress for the two-train central gas processing facility. The water treatment plant, waste management area and electricity substation have also been completed along with accommodation units for the construction workforce of up to 12,000.

The Khazzan drilling program is also on track with 38 of the 50 wells needed by first gas already drilled. More than 300 wells will eventually be drilled over the lifetime of the project. BP has plans in place with extensions to be contributing 1.5 Bcfgd to the Omani economy.

BP Oman is the lead partner in the project, with a 60% interest. Oman Oil Company Exploration & Production holds the remaining 40%.

Yousuf Al Ojaili, president, BP Oman, said, “Our aim is for first gas to be flowing by the end of 2017, representing a significant moment for Oman, with the gas that comes from Khazzan substantially increasing our country’s overall supply and supporting greater diversification of Oman’s industrial base.”

Related News ///


Comments ///

comments powered by Disqus