News & Resources
Oil shear braking system Offshore Source, LLC, has introduced an oil-shear braking system. The technology uses multiple friction disks cooled in recirculating transmission fluid. The result is precision control and greater longevity. The Drill Master Brake can serve as an energy absorber for winch, tensioning and drilling applications requiring high torque, low speed and precise weight-on-bit control. The smooth oil shear system eliminates the stick-slip and chatter common with low-speed drum rotation in hard rock formations. Also, by using the fluid for lubrication and cooling, the life under load is much longer, allowing for continuous drilling for weeks or months with no change in characteristics. The quick response piston and low inertia are also beneficial for drilling under varying load conditions such as rock to sand to shale, without interruption of drilling operations. The system features a totally enclosed design to protect equipment from the elements.
Please Log IN view this article.
Not yet a subscriber? For just $149/year, you can claim unlimited access to World Oil's content.*
Each subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to all content on WorldOil.com
- Exclusive drilling forecast data, by state, country and region
- State-by-state results from the survey of U.S. operators
- Updated producing oil and gas well figures, by state
- Exclusive access to World Oil's conference presentations
- Proprietary data tables covering casing, tubing, drill bits and fluids
- Exclusive World Oil maps (published three times per year)
- Daily coverage of industry news and developments\
- Industry whitepapers, webcasts, videos and supplements.