Petrobras discovers oil in the deepwater Potiguar basin


Petrobras discovers oil in the deepwater Potiguar basin 

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- Petrobras has announced the discovery of an oil accumulation on concession BM-POT-17, the first in the deep waters of the Potiguar basin.

The discovery was made while drilling well 1-BRSA-1205-RNS (1-RNS-158), informally known as Pitu, at a water depth of 1,731 m and 55 km off the coast of Rio Grande do Norte state.

The oil column was confirmed through log data and fluid samples, which will be characterized through laboratory analysis. The well is currently being drilled at a depth of 4,197 m and drilling will proceed until 5,028 m.

Petrobras is the operator of the concession with 80% stake and Petrogal Brasil S.A. holds the remaining 20%.

Due to the farm-out agreement, in progress, and after obtaining the approval of the National Agency of Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels (ANP), BP Energy do Brazil Ltda will join the consortium and interests of the partners in the block will be: Petrobras - 40%, BP - 40% and Petrogal - 20%.

The consortium will proceed with operations to complete the well drilling until the planned depth, verify the extension of the new discovery and characterize the conditions of the reservoirs.

Related News ///


Comments ///

comments powered by Disqus