US Coast Guard approves another inspection of sunken Deepwater Horizon

11/30/2012

US Coast Guard approves another inspection of sunken Deepwater Horizon

BY BEN  LEFEBVRE
 
NEW ORLEANS -- The United States Coast Guard approved BP and Transocean rig plan to conduct another underwater inspection of the wreckage of the Deepwater Horizon rig to discover the source of an oil slick floating in the Gulf of Mexico, the agency said.

BP on November 2 reported the slick in the vicinity of the sunken rig and wellhead, the site of the August 2010 explosion that killed 11 people and resulted in the worst environmental disaster in United States history. The sheen was the second to be sighted in the waters above the well despite its being capped after the explosion.

The underwater inspection will take start on December 3 2012, under Coast Guard supervision, the agency said.

BP earlier this month agreed to plead guilty to 11 counts of from the Deepwater Horizon explosion. It also agreed to pay $4.5 billion in fines. The Obama administration, citing a "lack of business integrity" that resulted in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, has temporarily blocked BP from obtaining new contracts with the United States government.

Dow Jones Newswires

Related News ///

FROM THE ARCHIVE ///

Comments ///

comments powered by Disqus