Press Esc to close

WorldOil

CONTENT PREVIEW

For full content view: Log in Now!

  • Analysis of the increasing U.S. dependence on imported oil


    J. R. Moroney

    The United States now harbors 5% of the world’s population, but consumes 26% of the world’s petroleum. The reasons why it consumes so much are straightforward. First, petroleum products are less expensive in the U.S. than elsewhere. Second, U.S. per-capita income is the highest in the world – about five times the world average. With current technology, a wealthy nation requires a great deal of petroleum for manufacturing, for producing electricity and, particularly, for transportation. Since 1975, the U.S. has consumed far more petroleum than it produced. The gap between domestic consumption and production must, of course, be filled by imports. Crude oil accounts for about 80% of all imported petroleum. The remaining 20% comprises distillate fuel oil, jet fuel, liquefied petroleum gases, gasoline and gasoline blending compounds, residual fuel oil and other products.

This area of the site is restricted. In order to gain access, please either Log In, or subscribe to World Oil.

Two options are available to you for creating an account.

1. Get a Free Trial Subscription to World Oil Magazine and gain immediate access to select content on World Oil Online.

Start a Free Trial Subscription and gain immediate access to the complete current issue of World Oil Magazine. Plus, you’ll receive 3 upcoming issues of World Oil Magazine in print or digital format.* You also receive access to the Energy Events Calendar, Industry Statistics and WO Wire’s news and industry coverage.

Free Trial


2. Purchase a subscription to World Oil magazine and gain immediate and complete access to World Oil Online. As a Total Access subscriber you will have access to all areas of the site available to registered users and free subscribers as well as having access to such premium content areas as:

  • The Archives section containing over ten years of complete magazine archives,
  • The WO DataHub's engineering tables and directories,
  • The World Oil annual forecasts, including past predictions,
  • Select World Oil technical handbooks,
  • And much, much more!

Subscribe


Physical copies of this content may be available for purchase. Visit the Reprints & Back Issues section.


If you are already a paid subscriber and do not have access, please email CustomerService@worldoil.com.

WO DATA HUB

EngineeringTablesIcon-Large

Engineering Data Tables

World Oil's specialized upstream Engineering Data Tables featuring the Drill Bit Classifier, Tubing Tables and more. Get Total Access today.

WO SUPPLEMENTS

2013 Fracturing Technology

2013 Fracturing Technology

ENERGY EVENTS