Press Esc to close

WorldOil

CONTENT PREVIEW

For full content view: Log in Now!

  • Gas monetization technologies remain tantalizingly on the brink


    D. Wood and S. Mokhatab

    Despite being one of the most abundant energy sources on the planet, more than one-third of global natural gas reserves remain stranded so that they cannot be economically delivered to market.1 About 70% of internationally traded gas is exported by pipeline, and the remaining 30% by Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG). Over the last two decades, several other technologies have been evaluated and proposed for monetizing previously remote gas reserves, Fig. 1. These include Gas-To-Liquid (GTL), gas-to-wire, Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and gas-to-solid technologies. The latter two technologies are in the research and development stage and, although the potential of these options has been explored in the past decade, no commercial projects exploiting them have been sanctioned. This article reviews the status of these technologies and identifies the hurdles preventing them from being commercialized on a wider scale.

This area of the site is restricted. In order to gain access, please either Log In, or subscribe to World Oil.

Two options are available to you for creating an account.

1. Get a Free Trial Subscription to World Oil Magazine and gain immediate access to select content on World Oil Online.

Start a Free Trial Subscription and gain immediate access to the complete current issue of World Oil Magazine. Plus, you’ll receive 3 upcoming issues of World Oil Magazine in print or digital format.* You also receive access to the Energy Events Calendar, Industry Statistics and WO Wire’s news and industry coverage.

Free Trial


2. Purchase a subscription to World Oil magazine and gain immediate and complete access to World Oil Online. As a Total Access subscriber you will have access to all areas of the site available to registered users and free subscribers as well as having access to such premium content areas as:

  • The Archives section containing over ten years of complete magazine archives,
  • The WO DataHub's engineering tables and directories,
  • The World Oil annual forecasts, including past predictions,
  • Select World Oil technical handbooks,
  • And much, much more!

Subscribe


Physical copies of this content may be available for purchase. Visit the Reprints & Back Issues section.


If you are already a paid subscriber and do not have access, please email CustomerService@worldoil.com.

WO DATA HUB

EngineeringTablesIcon-Large

Engineering Data Tables

World Oil's specialized upstream Engineering Data Tables featuring the Drill Bit Classifier, Tubing Tables and more. Get Total Access today.

WO SUPPLEMENTS

2013 Fracturing Technology

2013 Fracturing Technology

ENERGY EVENTS

Upcoming Events