Americas Petrogas drills Vaca Muerta well
HOUSTON -- Americas Petrogas announced that drilling has commenced on the La Hoya.x-1 (LHo.x-1) exploration well in the Totoral block. The primary drilling target is the Vaca Muerta shale. The Totoral block, of which Americas Petrogas is the operator and holds a 90 percent working interest, is approximately 293,600 acres or 456 square miles (1,188 square kilometers) and is located in the southern region of the Neuquen Basin of Argentina. Gas y Petroleo del Neuquen holds the remaining 10 percent interest.
The LHo.x-1 well is planned for drilling to a total depth of approximately 6,562 feet (2,000 meters) with the principal target being the Vaca Muerta shale formation. In addition to the Vaca Muerta, there are other opportunities in formations such as the Pre-Cuyo, Mulichinco, Quintuco and Quebrada del Sapo. The LHo.x-1 well is located 10.3 miles (16.6 kilometers) northwest of the Canadon CN.x-2 well drilled by YPF in 1962 which tested oil in the Quebrada del Sapo sandstone.